POSITION: Part-time Library Associate - Adult Services
Baden Memorial Library Job Opportunity
- High School Diploma
- Experience working with children and the public is required
- Knowledgeable about books
- Experience working in a library is desirable.
- Computer literacy, with experience using Microsoft Word.
- Child Abuse History and Criminal History Clearances are needed.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide quality customer service to the public.
- Plan and implement adult programs, activities, and outreach.
- Use the Library computer system to check library materials in and out, place and fill holds, and register borrowers.
- Shelve, file, and retrieve library materials.
- Cooperate as a team member with other staff; assist the Director as assigned
- Community Outreach
- Prepare Library fliers and posters, handle correspondence and compile statistics.
- Represent the Library at community events.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate:
- Ability to work cheerfully with the public and provide excellent customer service.
- Patience in dealing with the public of all ages
- Ability to work evenings and week-ends.
- Ability to think and work independently.
- Ability to adapt easily to a quickly changing environment.
- Ability to answer the telephone, direct calls and take accurate messages.
- Ability to stand and/or sit at a computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Ability to bend and stoop to reach bottom shelves
- Ability to stand on a step stool to reach tall shelves.
- Ability to lift and carry 15 to 20 pounds and move a heavily loaded book cart.
WAGE RATE: $8/hour.
WORK SCHEDULE: 7-15 hours/week: Morning and evening hours with alternating Saturdays. 3 month probationary period.
To apply, please e-mail resume to Bernie McKean, Library Director, at
Monday & Wednesday: 9:00 - 5:00
Tuesday: 12:00 - 7:00
Thursday: 11:00 - 6:00
Saturdays: 9:00 - 4:00
Position: Circulation Staff
New Brighton Public Library Job Opportunity
- The circulation desk is frequently the "face of the library," greeting and directing library patrons. He/she performs routine circulation duties as well as directional and simple reference tasks in accordance with established library policies and procedures. These duties are performed under the direct supervision of the library director.
Functions and Responsibiilities:
- Perform opening and closing procedures
- Check out, discharge , and renew all library materials
- Collect fines and make change from the cash register
- Register patrons for library cards, issue and renew card in accordance with system policies
- Create and update patron records regarding internet expiration dates, fines, etc.
- Pull paging slips, find requested material and prepare it for shipment
- Call patrons as needed for overdue material and held material.
- Shelve books and other material.
- Answer incoming phone calls, handle patron requests or problems.
- Sort daily mail, check in and distribute magazines, newspapers and periodicals appropiately
- Order material from headquarters as needed
- Perform other duties as requested
- Obtain continuing educatino credits as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computers
- Ability to operate basic office equipment
- Ability to operate cash register and accurately make change
- Must have demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to prioritize work
- Must have or be eligible to obtain child abuse clearances before commencing work
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Requires sitting, standing, walking, stopping, bending, and lifting/moving books up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to communicate effectively
- Requires focus and attention to detail
- Requires ability to operate computers and basic office equipment
- Must be able to hear, comprehend, and respond to others both in person and on the telephone
- Indoor conditions
- Must maintain professional manner when dealing with staff, patrons, and others
- Must be able to work both individually and in a group
- Must be felxible, creative, patient, and have a sense of humor
- Must be able to work evenings and Saturdays
Hours: Saturdays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and one or two evenings a week 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Please submit resume to:
Judith Volkmar, Library Director
New Brighton Public Library
1021 Third Ave.
New Brighton, PA 15006
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or fill out an application at the library