The Great Sunflower Challenge 2023
Next Challenge begins May 1, 2024
- Tallest - Stem should be measured from the soil line to the base of the head.
- Most Blooms- include fully mature flowers and unopened flower buds.
- Largest Head- should be measured at the diameter of the seed head, containing the sunflower seeds. Do not measure the petals.
|Team Tanner||Beaver||9.8 - 117 inches||16"|
|Baronetski||Beaver||8.5' - 103 inches||32|
|Provencher||10.5 - 126inches||31||14"|
|Ankney||Beaver||8.5 - 102 inches||47||16"|
|Valentine||10'5 - 126inches|
|Kucel||Baden||9.25 - 111 inches||152|
|Tallest||1) John Ackney||11'6"|
|3) Andrew and Lauren Pier||10'8"|
|Blooms||1) Andrew and Lauren Pier||106|
|2) Sandra Jo Kucel||80|
|3) Gretchen Harrich||60|
|Head||1) Marjorie Degelis||1' 75 (21 inches)|
|2) Aaron & Martha Kotys||1'12 (14 inches)|
|3) Cheryl Hansen||1.12 (12 inches)|
Sunflowers must be home-grown. Any variety of sunflower (Helianthus species) will be accepted. For the tallest/ largest challenges, we encourage "giant" varieties of sunflowers.
How to submit entries: 1) Take a photo of your sunflower and submit with this form at a local library or 2) Email your submission photos/ entry details to email@example.com
Last day to submit entries is September 9th
Winners will be announced on September 14th
Participants must consent to having their sunflower photograph shared for library publicity.
Beaver County residents only.
The Great Sunflower Project
If you would like to participate with The Great Sunflower Project- Citizen Science Pollinator Count, click the link https://www.greatsunflower.org/
Want to grow the biggest sunflower Beaver County has ever seen? Click the links below for some tips of the trade: https://www.almanac.com/plant/sunflowers
How to plant and grow Sunflowers plus how to roast seeds for eating
Looking for local sunflower fields to visit?
- Schwirian Farm Sunflower Festival - Monongahela, PA 15063
- Renshaw Farms - Freeport, Pennsylvania 16229
- Maple Bottom Farm - Dawson, PA 15428
- Freedom Farms - Butler, PA 16002